Advanced Certificate Course
This comprehensive two-day course exceeds various industry standards for basic and advanced driver training. It is suitable for novices as well as experienced 4WD operators, and can involve soft-roaders to 4WD trucks. Standard vehicles with standard tyres are acceptable, but modified vehicles with extensive recovery equipment can also be taken to their limits in controlled situations.
The course involves entertaining presentations of four wheel drive vehicle operation and recovery techniques. The course comprises classroom theory and practical exercises, with detailed notes and a bit of fun.
Theory sessions give an understanding of the technology involved in modern 4WD vehicles and recovery equipment. Discussion sessions are based around real-life experiences (including analysis of accidents and rescues) imparting knowledge on coping with challenging situations. Driving sessions allow participants to practice particular techniques taught in the course, taking vehicles to their limits, safely.
This course is run as a residential weekend at our training facility, Mountain Rivers Tourist Park in Rawson (self-cater motel style accommodation), only 2 hours from Melbourne, with field exercises on steep, rugged tracks around Walhalla, and simulated desert conditions in south Gippsland. Terrain includes one of the biggest river crossings in Victoria and our favourite big sand hill. Price $295 (non-participating partners/family $60 each) plus discounted accommodation and optional Saturday night pub meal. Accompanied children can attend free of charge.
Gift vouchers available for purchase online here.
Please select from the highlighted dates below to book online
Topics covered include:
Getting the right gear:
- low range and ground clearance
- AWD performance
- suspension systems
- part-time and full-time 4WD
- differentials and locks
- ABS brakes, stability and traction control
- auto transmissions and smart diffs
- free wheel hubs
- tyre patterns, sizes and pressures
- traction fundamentals
- simple mechanical checks and spares
- petrol, diesel, LPG and turbo engine characteristics
- 4WD maintainability
- snatch strap safety and tow point integrity
- winches, snatch blocks and recovery loads
- vehicle jacks
- wheel chains
- CB radios, GPS and satellite communications
- roof racks and trailers.
Tackling tough trails:
- mountain climbing and signs of trouble
- washaways, rock ledges and boulders
- forward and reverse hill starts
- slippery descents
- fording rivers
- silt protection
- rocks, holes and slippery banks
- engine fans and ignition
- snorkels and waterproofing
- deep water recoveries
- oil seals and breathers
- wet brakes
- mud and snow
- momentum and gravity
- ruts and bog holes
- south side of the mountain
- black ice and alpine parking
- sand: power, gears and tyre pressures
- salt water and beach hazards
- fallen trees
- avoiding duco scratches and stone chips
- potholes and suspension
- reverse gear risks
- tents, camping gear and fridges
- packing, luggage and water.
Upcoming Training Courses
These weekend courses are held approximately monthly during spring and autumn. To see available dates for training sessions click here.
Terrain Response Training
(For Land Rover Terrain Response – equipped vehicles only in conjunction with Green Oval Experience)
Saturday and Sunday : Dates to be advised.
Please call for booking.
A 2 day training session that will ensure you master hill climbs, mud and fording in your terrain response equipped Land Rover. Covers basic to advanced terrain response driving, recovery and emergency techniques.
The Terrain Response training courses are national courses specifically designed for late-model Land Rover products fitted with Terrain Response (TR). These courses are run regularly around Australia in affiliation with Green Oval Experience.
– Discovery 3 and 4 (2005 – present)
– Discovery Sport
– Range Rover Vogue (2007 – present)
– Range Rover Sport (2005 – present)
– Range Rover Evoque
– Freelander 2 (2006-2014)
Our customers include companies involved in: Forestry. Mining. Fire-fighting. Parks management. Remote area telecommunications. Environmental surveys. Archaeology. Geological drilling. Outdoor education.
Occupational health and safety considerations in our litigation-conscious society suggest that employees need to be equipped with the best skills available. For this reason our certificate courses are highly regarded within the 4WD industry, having been constantly updated over 10 years of presentation. They are conducted by a certificate IV workplace trainer/assessor with over 35 years’ 4WD experience, together with a trainer with prior service in an Australian Army Recovery Unit. Detailed training notes are included in the course and successful participants are issued with a certificate outlining these competencies. The classroom venue can be your premises or our training facility.
Staff/trainee ratios ensure personalized tuition, with a minimum of three and maximum of eight participants in each course. The training is done on your vehicles, but rental vehicles are available if required. For particular applications or participants with prior 4WD experience, courses can be shortened to one day by recognition of current competencies or prior learning.
Special courses can be tailored to client needs including crashed vehicle recoveries, winching, jacking, diff lock and wheel chain applications. Courses we offer include:
- Latrobe Valley Brown Coal Mine 4×4 Competency, and
- ATV* Competency, carried out at our test track facility at Rawson. (*Yamaha Rhino/Viking vehicles can be provided for this).
- Green Oval Experience, a special technical course for owners of Land Rover Discovery and Range Rover vehicles equipped with terrain-response electronics.